Skip to main content

Sustaining Leaders and a Sound Business Practice, 1 Nephi 2:19-24

1 Nephi 2:19-24

In this second communication that Nephi has with the Lord, the Lord extends to Nephi blessings and curses. The Lord pronounces a particular cursing upon his brethren -- if they rebel against Nephi, they would be separated from the Lord's presence. There is a parallel relationship between Nephi's brothers to him and me to my ecclesiastical leaders. Failure to sustain my leaders puts me at risk of separating myself from the Lord.

This can be a hard principle to embrace. It is hard to think that God will entrust an imperfect man with judgment to act in my behalf when spiritual discernment is required, but I've seen it happen so I know the principle to be true. I take comfort in the fact that the Lord will sustain and magnify his chosen servants, despite their weaknesses, to act in behalf of all His children.

***
There is a parallel between the patterns that the Lord uses with both Lehi and Nephi to reveal himself unto them. First they pray, the Lord speaks to them, they go out and share what was revealed to them, and then they return to the Lord in prayer with more problems after having executed the commandments required of them. The Lord commends them for their faith and then gives them greater commandments. He did it with both Lehi and Nephi, hence establishing a pattern for divine guidance.

A year ago I had a temporary job in the corporate offices of successful international company. The area in which I worked was surrounded by the offices of the upper management of this family-owned operation. I walked by the office of the CEO one day, the window blinds left open.
As I glanced in I saw five men surrounding a small table for business meeting. One stood with arms folded and head bowed. I then looked and saw that all five men had their heads bowed. Here was sound business practice -- absolute dependence upon the divine through prayer.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

"Alive in Christ," 2 Nephi 25:21-30

2 Nephi 25:21-31 The premise for these final verses of chapter 25 is found in the end of verse 20 : ...yea, behold I say unto you, that as these things are true, and as the Lord God liveth, there is none other name given under heaven save it be this Jesus Christ, of which I have spoken, whereby man can be saved.  Then in verse 21 , Nephi explains that this is the reason that the Lord had promised him that the things which he should write would be preserved and made available to future generations. These verse that follow talk about Nephi's efforts to persuade his children to believe in Christ. He said that he "labored diligently to write, to persuade [his] children, and also [his] brethren, to believe in Christ, and to be reconciled to God;"(See verse 23 ). This same verse then concludes with this defining, doctrinal statement: "For we know that it is by grace that we are saved, after all we can do." Nephi goes on to make a very interesting set of observations, ...

"A Space Between Death and the Resurrection," Alma 40:15-21

Alma 40:15-21 https://www.lds.org/scriptures/tg/resurrection?lang=eng The New Testament, after the Resurrection of Christ, is replete with testimony by the apostles of the reality of that very thing. I took a pause from this study to reflect over in John 6 . At least twice within that passage, the phrase "the resurrection of the just" had been added back into the passage in the Joseph Smith Translation. No man can come unto me, except he doeth the will of my Father who hath sent me. And this is the will of him who hath sent me, that ye receive the Son; for the Father beareth record of him; and he who receiveth the testimony, and doeth the will of him who sent me, I will raise up in the resurrection of the just. ( JST - John 6:44 ) Whoso eateth my flesh, and drinketh my blood, hath eternal life; and I will raise him up in the resurrection of the just at the last day. ( John 6:54 ) Why, among other doctrines, does the adversary or the world want to suppress...