Skip to main content

"Cut Off from the Presence of the Lord," 2 Nephi 9:4-9

2 Nephi 9:4-9

In these verses, salvation is defined as a return to the presence of God in our bodies. Verse 4 reads, "Our flesh must waste away and die; nevertheless, in our bodies we shall see God." Job echos a very similar sentiment in the Old Testament, "And though after my skin worms destroy this body, yet in my flesh shall I see God," (Job 19:26).

Jacob is covering a great deal of information in these verses. In explaining the importance or need for an infinite (all-encompassing) atonement, Jacob illustrates the effects of the fall.

(This is something that I don't think I've ever fully comprehended in part because I've never fully experienced it. That is, throughout my life in some form or other, I have known the goodness of God to pad the effects of the fall. I suspect that so it is with most people. Perhaps then the only way to fully comprehend the effects of a separation from God's presence is through prophetic utterance. )

Jacob explains that without an atonement, the effects of the fall must have continued indefinitely. What's more, if death were a permanent state of being after this life, where the body and spirit remained separated out of the presence of God, then we are no better off than the devil himself, a disembodied spirit who will never return back to the presence of God. So in other words, separated from the presence of God, once we die, we become spirits left in darkness.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

"Alive in Christ," 2 Nephi 25:21-30

2 Nephi 25:21-31 The premise for these final verses of chapter 25 is found in the end of verse 20 : ...yea, behold I say unto you, that as these things are true, and as the Lord God liveth, there is none other name given under heaven save it be this Jesus Christ, of which I have spoken, whereby man can be saved.  Then in verse 21 , Nephi explains that this is the reason that the Lord had promised him that the things which he should write would be preserved and made available to future generations. These verse that follow talk about Nephi's efforts to persuade his children to believe in Christ. He said that he "labored diligently to write, to persuade [his] children, and also [his] brethren, to believe in Christ, and to be reconciled to God;"(See verse 23 ). This same verse then concludes with this defining, doctrinal statement: "For we know that it is by grace that we are saved, after all we can do." Nephi goes on to make a very interesting set of observations, ...

"A Space Between Death and the Resurrection," Alma 40:15-21

Alma 40:15-21 https://www.lds.org/scriptures/tg/resurrection?lang=eng The New Testament, after the Resurrection of Christ, is replete with testimony by the apostles of the reality of that very thing. I took a pause from this study to reflect over in John 6 . At least twice within that passage, the phrase "the resurrection of the just" had been added back into the passage in the Joseph Smith Translation. No man can come unto me, except he doeth the will of my Father who hath sent me. And this is the will of him who hath sent me, that ye receive the Son; for the Father beareth record of him; and he who receiveth the testimony, and doeth the will of him who sent me, I will raise up in the resurrection of the just. ( JST - John 6:44 ) Whoso eateth my flesh, and drinketh my blood, hath eternal life; and I will raise him up in the resurrection of the just at the last day. ( John 6:54 ) Why, among other doctrines, does the adversary or the world want to suppress...