Skip to main content

"Ye Do Worship the True and Living God," Alma 7:6

In verse 6, the people of Gideon are found not in a state of unbelief. Rather they did believe in and follow the teachings of the true and living God. I want to say that they did worship, but I don't know if I understand or hold in reverence what it truly means to worship God.
Yea, I trust that you do not worship idols, but that ye do worship the true and the living God...
 What is the difference between worshiping idols and worshiping the true and living God? Idol worship requires no changes to the inner, carnal man. It allows man to continue as he was in his sins. To worship the true and living God requires a change of heart, and a perpetual, continue effort to turn more towards God.

...but that ye do worship the true and the living God, and that ye look forward for the remission of your sins, with an everlasting faith, which is to come.
When I worship, I am not just giving reverence and blind patronage to some Being who hold his all powerful staff over me to hold me in subjection to his will. No, rather I worship a divine Being by choosing to subject my will to the evolving, changing, purifying process of repentance. In other words, I worship by the act of actually becoming more like the Holy Father.

I feel that it was the same for the people of Gideon. Their worship had prepared them for the message that Alma would bring them.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

"Alive in Christ," 2 Nephi 25:21-30

2 Nephi 25:21-31 The premise for these final verses of chapter 25 is found in the end of verse 20 : ...yea, behold I say unto you, that as these things are true, and as the Lord God liveth, there is none other name given under heaven save it be this Jesus Christ, of which I have spoken, whereby man can be saved.  Then in verse 21 , Nephi explains that this is the reason that the Lord had promised him that the things which he should write would be preserved and made available to future generations. These verse that follow talk about Nephi's efforts to persuade his children to believe in Christ. He said that he "labored diligently to write, to persuade [his] children, and also [his] brethren, to believe in Christ, and to be reconciled to God;"(See verse 23 ). This same verse then concludes with this defining, doctrinal statement: "For we know that it is by grace that we are saved, after all we can do." Nephi goes on to make a very interesting set of observations, ...

"A Space Between Death and the Resurrection," Alma 40:15-21

Alma 40:15-21 https://www.lds.org/scriptures/tg/resurrection?lang=eng The New Testament, after the Resurrection of Christ, is replete with testimony by the apostles of the reality of that very thing. I took a pause from this study to reflect over in John 6 . At least twice within that passage, the phrase "the resurrection of the just" had been added back into the passage in the Joseph Smith Translation. No man can come unto me, except he doeth the will of my Father who hath sent me. And this is the will of him who hath sent me, that ye receive the Son; for the Father beareth record of him; and he who receiveth the testimony, and doeth the will of him who sent me, I will raise up in the resurrection of the just. ( JST - John 6:44 ) Whoso eateth my flesh, and drinketh my blood, hath eternal life; and I will raise him up in the resurrection of the just at the last day. ( John 6:54 ) Why, among other doctrines, does the adversary or the world want to suppress...