Skip to main content

"Comfort Their Souls in Christ," Alma 31:24-38

Alma 31:24-38

I've read through this once. I will comment tomorrow.

Today's action item - Pray to perceive the reality of my situation with my own children and family members.

Day Two:

I'm struck by how torn up and afflicted Alma is because of the iniquities of the Zoramites. Verse 31 is the apex of Alma's petition.
O Lord, my heart is exceedingly sorrowful; wilt thou comfort my soul in Christ. O Lord, wilt thou grant unto me that I may have strength, that I may suffer with patience these afflictions which shall come upon me, because of the iniquity of this people. (emphasis added)
Today's action item - Pray to find ways to help my children understand better that our stability is critically dependent upon our faith in Christ. Teach them that their success in life will be dependent upon their faith in Christ.

Day Three:

In the middle of Alma's prayer, amidst his request for comfort, in verse 32 he adds a request for success.
O Lord, wilt thou comfort my soul, and give unto me success, and also my fellow laborers who are with me— (emphasis added)
He also requests that his companions are comforted in Christ the same as he had prayed for himself. But then he returns to the request for success in verse 34, and adds a definition of what he would term as success in this mission:
O Lord, wilt thou grant unto us that we may have success in bringing them again unto thee in Christ. (emphasis added)
 The major issue with the Zoramites, in their pride and haughtiness, was that in their worship of God, they had separated the need for Christ from them. Worshiping the Savior, understanding His vital and critical role in our redemption, this is what was removed to accommodate their gross arrogance.

Today's action item  -  Pray for success in my daily pursuits in specific details. For example, pray for success in home teaching in the month of November that I may reach everyone on my assigned home teaching list and somehow point them to Christ.

Day Four:

I'm still stuck on verses 34. There is a footnote that leads over to 2 Nephi 26:33, which is a good reminder to me this morning of both agency and the universality of the plan.

Then as I continue on through the remainder of the chapter, my faith is strengthened even more. The familiar phrase of President Monson comes to mind, "It is the Lord’s work, and when we are on the Lord’s errand, we are entitled to the Lord’s help." (To Learn, to Do, to Be, October 2008)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

"An Awful Death," Alma 40:22-26

Alma 40:22-26 Ezekiel 37:6-14 - This prophecy of Ezekiel is a key indicator of divine priority. These last few verses at the end of the chapter are a testimony of the reality and nature of the resurrection, and the consignments of the wicked and the righteous thereafter. What questions should I be asking about these verses? Continue in verse 26 tomorrow. There are a number of footnotes on "the death of the wicked," or that death which "pertains to the things of righteousness." So I have spent the morning studying this death of the wicked, by reading the footnotes on "death" as referenced in title of this post, or "an awful death of the wicked."  Doctrine and Covenants 29:41 truly illustrates the seriousness of that predicament. He first is talking about the spiritual death that came upon Adam when he was cast out of the Garden of Eden: ...wherein he became spiritually dead, which is the first death, even that same death which is

"Behold, Here Are Six Onties of Silver," Alma 11:1-22

Alma 11:1-22 I finally arrive at chapter 11 of Alma. We have at the beginning of the chapter an explanation of the currency of the day among the Nephites. It is laid out as such: Nephite Coinage Chart Gold Silver Value limnah onti ( vs.22 ) Equal to a senine, a seon, and a shum of gold combined, or equal to a senum, an amnor, and a ezrom of silver combined. (7 senines, 7 senums, or 7 days of work) ( vs. 10, 13 ) shum ezrom 2 seons (4 senines) or 2 amnors (4 senums) ( vs. 9, 12 ) seon amnor 2 senines or 2 senums ( vs. 8, 11 ) antion 3 shiblons, which means it should be 1½ senine ( vs. 19 ) senine senum This is the base measurement from which all other coins are valued. A day's wages for a judge. Also, the worth of a measure of barley and every other kind of grain.( vs. 3, 7 ) shiblon half a senum, half a measure of barley ( vs. 15 ) shiblum half a shiblon (4 shiblums = a senum) ( vs. 16 ) leah half a shiblum (8 leahs = a senum) ( vs. 17 ) In verse 20 , we learn that the motivation