Skip to main content

"For He Will Fulfill All His Promises," Alma 37:8-20

Alma 37:8-20

This set of scripture is speaking directly to me this morning. Here are the givens, I've been contemplating and sharing the nature of God's commandments. Initially, perhaps we have a tendency to think of commandments written in stone when we think on the commandments of God. Yet to the contrary, what I'm seeing here is fleshy commandments written on the heart, given by revelation. This is what is being asked of me to perform --the things that God has planted in my heart.
O remember, remember, my son Helaman, how strict are the commandments of God. And he said: If ye will keep my commandments ye shall prosper in the land—but if ye keep not his commandments ye shall be cut off from his presence.
So I have some pretty clear instruction that has been given me, and yet I am vacillating about  the particulars of how to accomplish such instruction. Mostly because of what I perceive to be a financial limitation.

---

Taking these verses to a layer of abstraction (borrowing a term from computer science), in verse 14 we read:
And now remember, my son, that God has entrusted you with these things, which are sacred, which he has kept sacred, and also which he will keep and preserve for a  wise purpose in him... 
There are sacred purposes for which the Lord has prepared me, which I feel I have not yet realized. Recognizing this life's work that is still pending, we continue to read in verses 15 and 16:
And now behold, I tell you by the spirit of prophecy, that if ye transgress the commandments of God, behold, these things which are sacred shall be taken away from you by the power of God, and ye shall be delivered up unto Satan, that he may sift you as chaff before the wind.
But if ye keep the commandments of God, and do with these things which are sacred according to that which the Lord doth command you, (for you must appeal unto the Lord for all things whatsoever ye must do with them) behold, no power of earth or hell can take them from you, for God is powerful to the fulfilling of all his words.
As Nephi did liken all the words of Isaiah unto himself for the profit and learning of his people, I am taking license in these verses to take personal application of this exchange.

---

Then on to the promises. The final three verses talk of God being faithful in fulfilling all his promise to use these records for the blessing of future generations. Alma doesn't understand how God plans to do so, but he knows that he will use them to show forth his power. He references the conversion of the Lamanites which was facilitated by these records.

(It impresses me that this is what is missing in my own home -- a knowledge of the truth.) "...he will also still show forth his power in them unto future generations; therefore they shall be preserved." (vs. 19)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

"Alive in Christ," 2 Nephi 25:21-30

2 Nephi 25:21-31 The premise for these final verses of chapter 25 is found in the end of verse 20 : ...yea, behold I say unto you, that as these things are true, and as the Lord God liveth, there is none other name given under heaven save it be this Jesus Christ, of which I have spoken, whereby man can be saved.  Then in verse 21 , Nephi explains that this is the reason that the Lord had promised him that the things which he should write would be preserved and made available to future generations. These verse that follow talk about Nephi's efforts to persuade his children to believe in Christ. He said that he "labored diligently to write, to persuade [his] children, and also [his] brethren, to believe in Christ, and to be reconciled to God;"(See verse 23 ). This same verse then concludes with this defining, doctrinal statement: "For we know that it is by grace that we are saved, after all we can do." Nephi goes on to make a very interesting set of observations, ...

"A Space Between Death and the Resurrection," Alma 40:15-21

Alma 40:15-21 https://www.lds.org/scriptures/tg/resurrection?lang=eng The New Testament, after the Resurrection of Christ, is replete with testimony by the apostles of the reality of that very thing. I took a pause from this study to reflect over in John 6 . At least twice within that passage, the phrase "the resurrection of the just" had been added back into the passage in the Joseph Smith Translation. No man can come unto me, except he doeth the will of my Father who hath sent me. And this is the will of him who hath sent me, that ye receive the Son; for the Father beareth record of him; and he who receiveth the testimony, and doeth the will of him who sent me, I will raise up in the resurrection of the just. ( JST - John 6:44 ) Whoso eateth my flesh, and drinketh my blood, hath eternal life; and I will raise him up in the resurrection of the just at the last day. ( John 6:54 ) Why, among other doctrines, does the adversary or the world want to suppress...