Skip to main content

"This Is What I Have Against Thee," Alma 39:2-11

Alma 39:2-11

One impression that comes to me in prayer as I reflect on this rather hard passage of scripture is that Alma did his son no disservice by clearly stating where the offenses lay and explaining simply the challenges that his conduct had created. Neither is this a heat-of-the-moment exchange.

---
It appears to be random and off-topic, but in my prayers this morning I'm reminded of an exchange I had briefly with an older couple about a year ago with my family at a Subway's shop in Sedalia, Missouri. The details of that conversation are not for this setting, but it reminds me that there are no chance encounters.

---
Back to the passage at hand, Alma spells out the begin and the end of his son's departure from the paths of safety, expounding upon the consequences of both. This allows his son to clearly see how to make course correction.  This was important in his son's darkened state because it allowed him a path of escape into greater light.

---
On another morning of study, I am brought to consider the weight of this passage. I realize that I had initially hoped to pass over this section of scripture lightly. But this morning, I am brought to consider it more deeply.

There is also a tendency to read these verse in a condemning tone of voice. However, as I contemplate this, there is no way that Alma could have delivered this as a set of railing condemnations. Rather, the Spirit of the Lord is with me as I gently read these verses and slowly work my way through. The one indication of Alma's loving, tender, yet direct approach in these verses is his repeated use of the phrase "my son".

The seriousness of sexual transgression is illustrated here. Alma juxtaposes it to denial of the Holy Ghost and the murder of innocent blood, placing it along side, but listing it as the lesser of the three. I've cross referenced it to scriptures throughout the New Testament where Paul clearly states to avoid company with those who commit fornication.

---
I've spent time today following footnotes on "harlot" and "steal". I've spent a bit of time in Proverbs 7 which very descriptively goes through the logic that leads a young man without understanding down a path of loss. These are the follies of youth. This is what we're trying to protect our youth from. The fight, the battle is real.

---

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

"An Awful Death," Alma 40:22-26

Alma 40:22-26 Ezekiel 37:6-14 - This prophecy of Ezekiel is a key indicator of divine priority. These last few verses at the end of the chapter are a testimony of the reality and nature of the resurrection, and the consignments of the wicked and the righteous thereafter. What questions should I be asking about these verses? Continue in verse 26 tomorrow. There are a number of footnotes on "the death of the wicked," or that death which "pertains to the things of righteousness." So I have spent the morning studying this death of the wicked, by reading the footnotes on "death" as referenced in title of this post, or "an awful death of the wicked."  Doctrine and Covenants 29:41 truly illustrates the seriousness of that predicament. He first is talking about the spiritual death that came upon Adam when he was cast out of the Garden of Eden: ...wherein he became spiritually dead, which is the first death, even that same death which is

"Behold, Here Are Six Onties of Silver," Alma 11:1-22

Alma 11:1-22 I finally arrive at chapter 11 of Alma. We have at the beginning of the chapter an explanation of the currency of the day among the Nephites. It is laid out as such: Nephite Coinage Chart Gold Silver Value limnah onti ( vs.22 ) Equal to a senine, a seon, and a shum of gold combined, or equal to a senum, an amnor, and a ezrom of silver combined. (7 senines, 7 senums, or 7 days of work) ( vs. 10, 13 ) shum ezrom 2 seons (4 senines) or 2 amnors (4 senums) ( vs. 9, 12 ) seon amnor 2 senines or 2 senums ( vs. 8, 11 ) antion 3 shiblons, which means it should be 1½ senine ( vs. 19 ) senine senum This is the base measurement from which all other coins are valued. A day's wages for a judge. Also, the worth of a measure of barley and every other kind of grain.( vs. 3, 7 ) shiblon half a senum, half a measure of barley ( vs. 15 ) shiblum half a shiblon (4 shiblums = a senum) ( vs. 16 ) leah half a shiblum (8 leahs = a senum) ( vs. 17 ) In verse 20 , we learn that the motivation