Skip to main content

"That Ye Also May Be Partakers of the Fruit of the Tree of Life," Alma 5:50-62

Alma 5:50-62

In the first three verses of this grouping, Alma testifies of things which he has heard of the Holy Spirit.

All of these verses suggest that there is a literal division between the righteous and the wicked. The Kingdom of God is coming quickly, wherein the righteous will dwell. Therefore, one ought to repent of his sins and bring forth works of righteousness if he desires to be a part of this kingdom.



How will the righteous be distinguished from the wicked? Or in other words, what type of person will inherit the kingdom of heaven. Also I ask myself, amongst what type of people do I want to enjoy of their friendship and company?


In the kingdom of heaven, there are the penitent. They are they who desire to follow the voice of the Good Shepherd. (vs. 57) They are they whose names are written in the book of life. (vs. 58) And it will be God who will separate the wicked from among the righteous. (vs. 59)

I am impressed by this thought: that in the kingdom of God, there will not be those mock or laugh at others. There will not be those that wear costly apparel (expensive clothing). There are not those that trample under their feet the Holy One of Israel. There will not be those that are puffed up in the pride of their hearts. There will not be those that deny the poor or the needy. Nothing impure can dwell in the presence of God, and "The names of the wicked shall not be mingled with the names of my people;" (vs. 57).



And those that won't repent, they are bound and thrown into a fire. Alma also explains that this fire is eternal, or unquenchable. (vs. 52) There is not much emphasis on this point, but it is taught as an eternal truth, nonetheless.



Now, I feel that I better understand the teaching of the Savior concerning the sheep and the wolves. I feel that I better relate with the idea that the wolves are the tendencies within myself that I ought to remove because they will destroy the sheep, or the good works that could exist within me. That this is given by way of commandment simply means that if I allow wolves amongst the flock, then surely one sheep or more will die. It is not a probability. It is not a good suggestion. Something, somewhere will die, when there are wolves lurking about. That is why, for those who do not want to die, the prophets give commandments for their safety and well-being. (see vs.60-61)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

"An Awful Death," Alma 40:22-26

Alma 40:22-26 Ezekiel 37:6-14 - This prophecy of Ezekiel is a key indicator of divine priority. These last few verses at the end of the chapter are a testimony of the reality and nature of the resurrection, and the consignments of the wicked and the righteous thereafter. What questions should I be asking about these verses? Continue in verse 26 tomorrow. There are a number of footnotes on "the death of the wicked," or that death which "pertains to the things of righteousness." So I have spent the morning studying this death of the wicked, by reading the footnotes on "death" as referenced in title of this post, or "an awful death of the wicked."  Doctrine and Covenants 29:41 truly illustrates the seriousness of that predicament. He first is talking about the spiritual death that came upon Adam when he was cast out of the Garden of Eden: ...wherein he became spiritually dead, which is the first death, even that same death which is

"A Space Between Death and the Resurrection," Alma 40:15-21

Alma 40:15-21 https://www.lds.org/scriptures/tg/resurrection?lang=eng The New Testament, after the Resurrection of Christ, is replete with testimony by the apostles of the reality of that very thing. I took a pause from this study to reflect over in John 6 . At least twice within that passage, the phrase "the resurrection of the just" had been added back into the passage in the Joseph Smith Translation. No man can come unto me, except he doeth the will of my Father who hath sent me. And this is the will of him who hath sent me, that ye receive the Son; for the Father beareth record of him; and he who receiveth the testimony, and doeth the will of him who sent me, I will raise up in the resurrection of the just. ( JST - John 6:44 ) Whoso eateth my flesh, and drinketh my blood, hath eternal life; and I will raise him up in the resurrection of the just at the last day. ( John 6:54 ) Why, among other doctrines, does the adversary or the world want to suppress