Skip to main content

"If I Had Not Been Born of God," Alma 36:1-5

Alma 36:1-5

I'm working to put together the connection between being born again (spiritually reborn) and testimony, and I've think I've found it. 

Spiritual knowledge, Alma doesn't take credit for the obtainment of spiritual knowledge. Rather he seems to regard it as a gift from God. (see vs. 4-5) In these verse, Alma does verify that in order to obtain a knowledge of spiritual things, one must be born again.
If I had not been born of God I should not have known these things. (vs.5)
Back in chapter 26, verse 21 & 22, Ammon confirms this reality, that only those that have been spiritual born of God are those that are possessors of the knowledge that comes from God.

This is also supported by what the Savior taught in John 3.

I finished this study over in Mosiah 4:13. I have felt quite a bit of guilt in recent years with regards to my own children when I read the connection here between personal testimony and the family obligation to teach my children and protect them. However, I am reminded of two things this morning:
  • Not that this should bring me comfort, but King Benjamin's grandchildren were the sons of Mosiah. And it was that younger generation, that where only small children at the time that King Benjamin gave his historic address, that really struggled with their faith. 
  • Easily spoken, but no one is saying this is easily implemented. As I continue to wrestle with the implementation of such a commandment, I find hope that in the struggle therein lies the answers.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

"Alive in Christ," 2 Nephi 25:21-30

2 Nephi 25:21-31 The premise for these final verses of chapter 25 is found in the end of verse 20 : ...yea, behold I say unto you, that as these things are true, and as the Lord God liveth, there is none other name given under heaven save it be this Jesus Christ, of which I have spoken, whereby man can be saved.  Then in verse 21 , Nephi explains that this is the reason that the Lord had promised him that the things which he should write would be preserved and made available to future generations. These verse that follow talk about Nephi's efforts to persuade his children to believe in Christ. He said that he "labored diligently to write, to persuade [his] children, and also [his] brethren, to believe in Christ, and to be reconciled to God;"(See verse 23 ). This same verse then concludes with this defining, doctrinal statement: "For we know that it is by grace that we are saved, after all we can do." Nephi goes on to make a very interesting set of observations, ...

"A Space Between Death and the Resurrection," Alma 40:15-21

Alma 40:15-21 https://www.lds.org/scriptures/tg/resurrection?lang=eng The New Testament, after the Resurrection of Christ, is replete with testimony by the apostles of the reality of that very thing. I took a pause from this study to reflect over in John 6 . At least twice within that passage, the phrase "the resurrection of the just" had been added back into the passage in the Joseph Smith Translation. No man can come unto me, except he doeth the will of my Father who hath sent me. And this is the will of him who hath sent me, that ye receive the Son; for the Father beareth record of him; and he who receiveth the testimony, and doeth the will of him who sent me, I will raise up in the resurrection of the just. ( JST - John 6:44 ) Whoso eateth my flesh, and drinketh my blood, hath eternal life; and I will raise him up in the resurrection of the just at the last day. ( John 6:54 ) Why, among other doctrines, does the adversary or the world want to suppress...