Skip to main content

"A Sore Cursing...Save They Shall Repent," 2 Nephi 5: 21-25

2 Nephi 5:21-25

I struggled with these verses yesterday when I was study it in Spanish, not because of the language but because of my perceived severity of the curse. Because of their unrighteousness, this particular branch of the house of Israel was punished with the cursing of a darker skin.

In our modern circumstances, a darker skin seems hardly a curse. In fact, as I reflected in Doctrine and Covenants 95:1, I was reminded that with every chastisement, the Lord is merciful and had prepared a way for their eventual salvation, whatever their lot in life is. What's more, whom the Lord loves, He chastens. I feel that this condemnation that fell upon the Lamanites was also extended in love.

What is even more curious, as Nephi is making account of the Lamanites' curse, the Lord says unto him that the Lamanites will keep the Nephites in remembrance of the Lord unto repentance, or else "they shall scourge them even unto destruction," (vs. 25). Despite their curse, brought upon a nation because of the wickedness of their fathers, never are the Lamanites consigned to absolute destruction as were the Nephites for failure to keep God's commandments.
In a broader view of the situation, it seems that the Lord did have the Lamanites long term preservation in mind. Thus the eternal purposes of a loving God are considered to be far beyond our immediate circumstances.

Comments

  1. The darkening of their skins isn't the curse. The curse is being cut off from Heavenly Father. This is what my professor say at BYU.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great insight. I guess I never stated it, but after re-reading that post, that's in a sense the conclusion that I had come to as well.

    Thank you.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

"Alive in Christ," 2 Nephi 25:21-30

2 Nephi 25:21-31 The premise for these final verses of chapter 25 is found in the end of verse 20 : ...yea, behold I say unto you, that as these things are true, and as the Lord God liveth, there is none other name given under heaven save it be this Jesus Christ, of which I have spoken, whereby man can be saved.  Then in verse 21 , Nephi explains that this is the reason that the Lord had promised him that the things which he should write would be preserved and made available to future generations. These verse that follow talk about Nephi's efforts to persuade his children to believe in Christ. He said that he "labored diligently to write, to persuade [his] children, and also [his] brethren, to believe in Christ, and to be reconciled to God;"(See verse 23 ). This same verse then concludes with this defining, doctrinal statement: "For we know that it is by grace that we are saved, after all we can do." Nephi goes on to make a very interesting set of observations, ...

"A Space Between Death and the Resurrection," Alma 40:15-21

Alma 40:15-21 https://www.lds.org/scriptures/tg/resurrection?lang=eng The New Testament, after the Resurrection of Christ, is replete with testimony by the apostles of the reality of that very thing. I took a pause from this study to reflect over in John 6 . At least twice within that passage, the phrase "the resurrection of the just" had been added back into the passage in the Joseph Smith Translation. No man can come unto me, except he doeth the will of my Father who hath sent me. And this is the will of him who hath sent me, that ye receive the Son; for the Father beareth record of him; and he who receiveth the testimony, and doeth the will of him who sent me, I will raise up in the resurrection of the just. ( JST - John 6:44 ) Whoso eateth my flesh, and drinketh my blood, hath eternal life; and I will raise him up in the resurrection of the just at the last day. ( John 6:54 ) Why, among other doctrines, does the adversary or the world want to suppress...