Skip to main content

"The Spirit of the Lord," 2 Nephi 21:1-5

2 Nephi 21:1-5

At the beginning of this chapter there is a yet another descriptive prophecy of Chirst's coming and of the nature of his righteousness. The personal application is that as Christ was and is, so I can also become through faith in Him. This comes with the hope that I may one day be worthy to be called a son of Christ (see Mosiah 5:7). 

What stands out to me in this reading is the definition of the Spirit of the Lord found in verse 2 and then the results of having the Holy Spirit as a companion that follow in subsequent verses. Parenthetically, this is for me one of the most unique and empowering doctrines of my "Mormon" faith, in contrast with the rest of modern Christianity. I am blessed to enjoy the continual companionship of the Spirit of the Lord, as long as I prove faithful to the baptismal and sacramental covenants that I have made, which covenants entitle me to be the recipient of such a blessing as this. This companionship is very real, constant, and consistent. Yet, this definition of the Spirit of the Lord is vastly greater than I have previously considered.

In teaching about the Holy Spirit, or the Holy Ghost, or the Spirit of the Lord, as He is called in these verses, I will point people to understand how the Spirit feels and what his mission is. But herein are six words that define what the Spirit of the Lord is:
  • The Spirit of Wisdom and Understanding
  • The Spirit of Counsel and Might
  • The Spirit of Knowledge and of the Fear of the Lord
In regarding these lines of scripture, this helps me to discern even more the purposes and influence of the Holy Ghost, and allows me to consider ways in which I could be employing His companionship that I do not currently use. For if the Spirit of the Lord is wisdom and understanding, counsel and might, and knowledge and fear of the Lord, then one filled with the Spirit of the Lord is empowered to work great works.

In my own words, this is how I would define these attributes of the Spirit.
  • Wisdom - The capacity to act in such a way that results in greater love and peace, usually possessed by one that can see the full picture and act in such a way that is both merciful and just.
  • Understanding - The ability to feel with the heart and mind, through communication, the situation and experience of all parties involved involved.
  • Counsel -The ability to discuss a situation in a group setting and come to a peaceful/agreeable decision that results in action and unity.
  • Might -Power, Energy, courage, and confidence that comes when acting in righteousness and truth.
  • Knowledge - Similar to Understanding. Comprehension of the wider scope of history. Learning in all the graces.
  • Fear of God - Respect and reverence for the source of all light and truth. Realization that all things depend upon His time and purposes.
Isaiah 61:1-3 offers an interesting comparison to these verses and the thoughts that I've just considered.  This is yet another way of viewing the outcomes of communing with the Spirit of the Lord.

      Comments

      Popular posts from this blog

      "Alive in Christ," 2 Nephi 25:21-30

      2 Nephi 25:21-31 The premise for these final verses of chapter 25 is found in the end of verse 20 : ...yea, behold I say unto you, that as these things are true, and as the Lord God liveth, there is none other name given under heaven save it be this Jesus Christ, of which I have spoken, whereby man can be saved.  Then in verse 21 , Nephi explains that this is the reason that the Lord had promised him that the things which he should write would be preserved and made available to future generations. These verse that follow talk about Nephi's efforts to persuade his children to believe in Christ. He said that he "labored diligently to write, to persuade [his] children, and also [his] brethren, to believe in Christ, and to be reconciled to God;"(See verse 23 ). This same verse then concludes with this defining, doctrinal statement: "For we know that it is by grace that we are saved, after all we can do." Nephi goes on to make a very interesting set of observations, ...

      "A Space Between Death and the Resurrection," Alma 40:15-21

      Alma 40:15-21 https://www.lds.org/scriptures/tg/resurrection?lang=eng The New Testament, after the Resurrection of Christ, is replete with testimony by the apostles of the reality of that very thing. I took a pause from this study to reflect over in John 6 . At least twice within that passage, the phrase "the resurrection of the just" had been added back into the passage in the Joseph Smith Translation. No man can come unto me, except he doeth the will of my Father who hath sent me. And this is the will of him who hath sent me, that ye receive the Son; for the Father beareth record of him; and he who receiveth the testimony, and doeth the will of him who sent me, I will raise up in the resurrection of the just. ( JST - John 6:44 ) Whoso eateth my flesh, and drinketh my blood, hath eternal life; and I will raise him up in the resurrection of the just at the last day. ( John 6:54 ) Why, among other doctrines, does the adversary or the world want to suppress...