Skip to main content

"Cry Unto the Lord," Alma 34:18-29

Alma 34:18-29

Pray and do good.

I read through these passages this morning, at first, without any resolve to realign my course. Even though I am familiar with this  passage, my life is not quite in harmony with what Amulek teaches here:

On Prayer:
  • First off, Christ is mighty to save. And if we had any question about that fact, or if we needed a refresher on the scope of Christ's magnificence, the footnote on "mighty" points to Hebrews 7:24-25:
"But this man, because he continueth ever, hath an unchangeable priesthood.
"Wherefore he is able also to save them to the uttermost that come unto God by him, seeing he ever liveth to make intercession for them."
  • To be humbled and to continue in prayer onto him: There is no more pressing reminder from day to day than this one.
  • Several statements that Amulek make point to praying over those things which sustain our livelihood. (Fields and flocks in their day.) 
  • Pray for our family (household), morning, mid-day, and evening. Daniel was also noted for praying three times a day. (I only pray twice a day, and even then...) 
  • Cry unto him against the power of my enemies. I've never really given this much thought. For a long time I've felt that I didn't have enemies. But here I am, not entirely in a position of peace because of influences that have had sway on family members that I love. These influences, those that embody such, these are my enemies. Not that I would be hostile towards them, but I'm coming to recognize and unveil the enemies of my soul, and they are real. 
  • The next verse aptly points to the true opposition: the devil, the enemy of all righteousness. For so long I have been wondering in ignorance oblivious to the reality of the opposition that was being waged against my own family. Today, my own house is divided because of the opposition.  But now I know what I am praying for. 
  • Again, Amulek returns to the need to pray for our crops in the fields and our flocks. What are my crops that they can prosper? What are my flocks that they might increase? How can I do this better? 
 ----
The end of this section on prayer illustrates in my mind the need of constant prayer, or that there is an intensity to the quality of my prayers that must be in place of their effectiveness to be realized. The deliberate use of the word "cry" throughout this passage illustrates that intensity of effort. "Yea, and when you do not cry unto the Lord, let your hearts be full."

Then Amulek concludes with a call to charitable action. We must do something good: receive the needy and the naked, visit the sick and afflicted, give to those in need if ye have. For all it is an issue of where do spend our free time, in what do we spend our free time working on? 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

"An Awful Death," Alma 40:22-26

Alma 40:22-26 Ezekiel 37:6-14 - This prophecy of Ezekiel is a key indicator of divine priority. These last few verses at the end of the chapter are a testimony of the reality and nature of the resurrection, and the consignments of the wicked and the righteous thereafter. What questions should I be asking about these verses? Continue in verse 26 tomorrow. There are a number of footnotes on "the death of the wicked," or that death which "pertains to the things of righteousness." So I have spent the morning studying this death of the wicked, by reading the footnotes on "death" as referenced in title of this post, or "an awful death of the wicked."  Doctrine and Covenants 29:41 truly illustrates the seriousness of that predicament. He first is talking about the spiritual death that came upon Adam when he was cast out of the Garden of Eden: ...wherein he became spiritually dead, which is the first death, even that same death which is

"Behold, Here Are Six Onties of Silver," Alma 11:1-22

Alma 11:1-22 I finally arrive at chapter 11 of Alma. We have at the beginning of the chapter an explanation of the currency of the day among the Nephites. It is laid out as such: Nephite Coinage Chart Gold Silver Value limnah onti ( vs.22 ) Equal to a senine, a seon, and a shum of gold combined, or equal to a senum, an amnor, and a ezrom of silver combined. (7 senines, 7 senums, or 7 days of work) ( vs. 10, 13 ) shum ezrom 2 seons (4 senines) or 2 amnors (4 senums) ( vs. 9, 12 ) seon amnor 2 senines or 2 senums ( vs. 8, 11 ) antion 3 shiblons, which means it should be 1½ senine ( vs. 19 ) senine senum This is the base measurement from which all other coins are valued. A day's wages for a judge. Also, the worth of a measure of barley and every other kind of grain.( vs. 3, 7 ) shiblon half a senum, half a measure of barley ( vs. 15 ) shiblum half a shiblon (4 shiblums = a senum) ( vs. 16 ) leah half a shiblum (8 leahs = a senum) ( vs. 17 ) In verse 20 , we learn that the motivation