Skip to main content

"The Fulness of Mine Intent", 1 Nephi 6:3-6

1 Nephi 6:3-6

Now that I've spent the last three days focused on the first two verses of this chapter, I've almost overlooked the purpose in Nephi's choosing not to include a more detailed genealogy. He says in verse 3, "For I desire the room that I may write the things of God. "

This is even more clearly understood as he goes on in the next verses. The genealogical evidence that would have been facilitated through Nephi rendering a full account of his ancestry was not a priority. In fact, he was deliberately choosing to not included anything that would offer worldly evidence of the book's origin.

"The things which are pleasing to the world, I do not write, but the things which are pleasing unto God and unto those who are not of the world." (verse 5)

Additional Supporting Scripture:
John 20: 30-31 - Though Christ did many things that were not recorded in the Scriptures, the events that are recorded are given that we may believe in Him.
Galatians 1:10 - Who are we persauding, man or God? Who are we pleasing? If it is man, then we are not servants of Christ.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

"Alive in Christ," 2 Nephi 25:21-30

2 Nephi 25:21-31 The premise for these final verses of chapter 25 is found in the end of verse 20 : ...yea, behold I say unto you, that as these things are true, and as the Lord God liveth, there is none other name given under heaven save it be this Jesus Christ, of which I have spoken, whereby man can be saved.  Then in verse 21 , Nephi explains that this is the reason that the Lord had promised him that the things which he should write would be preserved and made available to future generations. These verse that follow talk about Nephi's efforts to persuade his children to believe in Christ. He said that he "labored diligently to write, to persuade [his] children, and also [his] brethren, to believe in Christ, and to be reconciled to God;"(See verse 23 ). This same verse then concludes with this defining, doctrinal statement: "For we know that it is by grace that we are saved, after all we can do." Nephi goes on to make a very interesting set of observations, ...

"A Space Between Death and the Resurrection," Alma 40:15-21

Alma 40:15-21 https://www.lds.org/scriptures/tg/resurrection?lang=eng The New Testament, after the Resurrection of Christ, is replete with testimony by the apostles of the reality of that very thing. I took a pause from this study to reflect over in John 6 . At least twice within that passage, the phrase "the resurrection of the just" had been added back into the passage in the Joseph Smith Translation. No man can come unto me, except he doeth the will of my Father who hath sent me. And this is the will of him who hath sent me, that ye receive the Son; for the Father beareth record of him; and he who receiveth the testimony, and doeth the will of him who sent me, I will raise up in the resurrection of the just. ( JST - John 6:44 ) Whoso eateth my flesh, and drinketh my blood, hath eternal life; and I will raise him up in the resurrection of the just at the last day. ( John 6:54 ) Why, among other doctrines, does the adversary or the world want to suppress...